Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp - playing games

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcksques

MIS
May 2, 2003
US
I havent read clear to the end of these fourms , but so far i havent seen this question, why does this system shut down after about 10-15 min of playing some games? all worked perfectly well on 98- does the color have anything to do with it? i'm only allowed 16-32 bit, would not having it on 256 be the problem? this is my system,80 GB maxtor hard drive ,1GB DDR266 PC2100 memory, NVIDIA GFORCE 4 MX-440 128 with TV-OUT, 4xAGP video card pentium 4 2.4 GHZ processor, Pentium 4 mother board .

I have PIII 800mhz system with 512MB SDRam, GeForce 4 MX440, 40GB HDD, and running Windows XP Pro, I didnt encounter problem.

have you install all the drivers of your system, like Video card, Sound card, etc. please install only the driver version that comes with your system package, upgrading driver version will create another issue.

About the color, 32bit/ 1024x768 monitor refresh rate is 85hrz for 17" monitor.

Cause of the problem:
1. Driver of your system
2. Anti-Virus (anti-virus can lock up your system while playing game)
3. Hardware dffect (Hard disk, Ram, Processor)

I answered your problem? =)

Good Luck.

Noel Lee CATSRI,CATSE,CNS6.5
Network and Systems Engineer
ITS, Philippines

Check your games out at this site and make sure they are compatible with XP.

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on this site.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

Other things to consider would be checking for updated drivers for your system. Checking for installed Unsigned drivers.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

Possible fan or overheating problems.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back