Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP PCs on 2003 domain drops connections to 2000 PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesh2006

Technical User
Mar 8, 2006
GB
We started in January 2001 with a 2000 standard server and around 10 Windows NT client PCs. As the years passed the NT clients became 2000 Pro clients, 10 clients grew to 45 and we added a second server, running 2003 standard server. The two domains were split between between our two companies, 35 clients on the 2003 domain and 10 on the 2000 one. Everything worked fine, a trust relationship meant seamless connections to either server, every resource on the network and shared drives on numerous PCs.

Then we introduced a handful of XP Pro workstations and the problems started.

Every so often, maybe every 30 minutes, maybe every 2 days, the XP boxes need to logon again when connecting to the 2000 workstations and the 2000 server on the other domain, not their own 2003 domain server. They also need to use someoneelses' password.

When it drops the XP event viewer reports errors 40960 and 40961, mentioning a "potential downgrade attack." Does XP think it's too important to talk with 2000 boxes?

This has never been a problem with 2000 clients, and I thought I knew all XP's idiosyncracies, but this has me beaten.

I tried the "Power Management, untick Allow the computer turn off this device…….." and this worked for a while, but not for long.

We do NOT have Reverse Lookup on the 2003 server installed but I cannot see how this would affect the internal network. Am I really stupid in thinking this?

I am currently working away from where the network is and
won't be able to try it for a couple of weeks?

Any ideas please?

Thanks,

Mike

I do not think not having reverse dns is causing a problem but it never hurts to have it. I only have 10 xp clients and 3 servers and i went ahead and setup reverse dns on both my AD servers cause im also running an exchange server as the 3rd server.

Do you have a WINS server setup on the networks? Im not sure how much of a problem this would create and someone else maybe able to give a better answer to WINS.

What about your DNS servers? How are they setup?

Also have you thought about maybe moving everything to a 2003 enterprise and just create child domains under a new forest for both companies so its easier to manage? With them all in one enterprise and each under their own child domain it would be less of a headache as everything would be under 1 forest and itd be easier to manage.

Wm. Reynolds
RRWDS | TxPSS

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
Network Error:
Hit any user to continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back