Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP PC cannot connect to domain over VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MISBoston

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
Hello, everyone. Here's my problem: I upgraded a PC at a remote office from W2K Pro to XP Pro. After installing the OS, I successfully joined the PC to the company domain over a VPN connection to the main office and to the domain controller, which is an NT 4.0 server. But, now, when I attempt to connect this XP machine to the domain at login using the "Log on using dial-up connection" check box, which allows me to establish the VPN connection, the login fails, with the message that the company domain could not be located.

I don't understand why I get this message, since I joined the PC to the domain successfully, and am able to connect to the domain & network using VPN. Why is this XP machine unable to locate the domain over the VPN?

One other note: before this upgrade from W2K, this same machine was able to logon to the domain over VPN. The problem only started with the install of XP.

I wonder if the problem might have something to do with using an older OS (NT 4.0) to authenticate users who are using XP.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

J. Bedsole
Boston

Hi,
It might be related to XP's firewall..Check its settings.

[profile]

I think your security token has changed. PPTP requires that the connecting user account have dial-in permissions. Use the Remote Access Admin tool (on the remote end) to verify that the user account has the appropriate dial-in permissions.

If a domain is present, the user may need domain permissions to connect to certain resources on the network. Deleting and recreating the account if the account had been established with a different security token is likely to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back