Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP or Windows 2000? Is one OS "better" than the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcse924

MIS
Feb 14, 2002
US
I'm trying to convince my supervisor to move to XP with the purchase of 80 new PCs for our office. These will be HP Compaq 2.x GHZ P4's with 512MB ram, hyper threading, etc, top of the line. He likes the comfort and stability of Windows 2000 SP4, but I say XP is no longer "new", and worth the move NOW. Besides we will benefit GREATLY when we start bumping servers up to WIN2003. By the way, for us to get PC's with 2000 or XP, cost is the same. Why not upgrade the new machines? I'm asking you!!

Please provide arguments for either OS. THANKS in advance!

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

WinXP has some appearance changes over Win2000 but both are built on the WinNT 4 kernel. For my purposes, WinXP is quite a bit easier to set up on a network. There is better/more built-in support for hardware in WinXP, including USB Version 2.0. My external USB hard drives and Camera/memory modules are automatically recognized as Removeable Drives without adding drivers for them.

If cost is not a factor (including getting existing PC's upgraded as well), then XP might be the better choice.

I say "might" because there's very little difference between the two in terms of importance in a business environment. XP has better integration with DirectX, has additional features like System Restore, and as Blujacket said better built-in support for things like USB 2.0. However, all these things matter very little to many people when comparing the two.

Both are built on the NT 5 kernel (XP is actually NT 5.1). So the stability and efficiency is about the same for most applications. USB 2.0 support can be easily added to Win2K. Networking is nearly identical.

If anything, XP will really benefit you on length of support (has an extra 2 years over Win2K). A lot of minor flaws such as the 60Hz refresh rate in some 3D OpenGL applications in full screen was only fixed in XP. With the purchase of 80 PC's, I see no real benefit in keeping 2000 around.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

I'd recommend XP over 2000 for the reasons already stated.

Slight correction to Blujacket's post though - They're built on WinNT5 kernel (if you check the versions 2000 = 5 and WinXP = 5.1).

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

OK. But what, from a business standpoint, do we gain with XP? Are you guys familiar with Remote Desktop or Remote Assistance? I know these features PREFER Outlook/Exchange and Windows Messenger. We are a Notes shop and we are opposed to any and all IM apps.

Are there any compelling (not marginal) reasons to go with XP over 2000? MS has extended support for 2000 until March 2007. I really want to move to XP, to stay ahead of the curve, but I need some REAL ammo for my argument.

THANKS to all who have replied, and will reply!!

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

If you do decide to go the 2000 route, still purchase the boxes with XP Pro OEM. You can legally downgrade to 2000, and move to XP when desired

. Remote Desktop does not require Messenger, Exchange, or IE.

. Remote Assitance does not demand Messenger, Exchange or IE. Just any POP3 server.

. While support for Windows 2000 is for several years, it will no longer be available for sale in two months from OEM or retail outlets.

. As I mentioned in another thread today, buy XP and if you insist the license will in most cases allow you to "downgrade" to use Win2k Professional. If you buy Win2k Professional today, you will pay tomorrow to upgrade to XP.

. If you like Win2k, you will like XP from a System Administrator's perspective. It is as or more reliable, as or more stable, and offers a heckuva lot more support for devices down the road.

But the simple economics of the problem: You buy XP. If you want, most EULA agreements permit you the downgrade to Win2k. If you buy Win2k, you buy XP at some future date.

There's a complete rundown of features here (pick and choose your ammo):

It's all there. The task at hand is to make a convincing argument that you need a lot of those features. If there are any old DOS or Win95/98 apps that the company still relies on, XP definitely stands a better chance to run them (you can also use the "compatibility mode" feature as a last resort).

Better group policy control and device driver rollback are two distinct advantages of XP that you might want to focus on.

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind"
[tab][tab]- Aristotle

I've read recently that xp security isn't as good as previous os. you can crack the password without being admin. You may wish to look into the issue. What i've read you can by pass login with the 2000 erd. :)

see what you think.

You can use the same tools to crack the Win2k password. If you allow someone physical access to a workstation, and allow them to boot the machine with a floppy disk, there is no protection for any Operating System.

The physical security of a workstation is your job, not the Operating System.

Have you tested all of your current software on XP??? Something I would do before even thinking about upgrading everybody to XP. I have had to many older programs fail on XP. TEST, TEST, TEST AND MORE TESTING!!!!!!! Your boss will be a tad upset if you upgrade all these machines and then need to buy upgraded software.

biddy,

Testing is an excellent idea. Your Operating System choice should be application driven.

To be fair, as a comparison, the XP Compatability Wizard service is miles ahead of Win2k.

The compatibility issue is an important one, but I very much doubt that any programs that run in 2000 won't run in XP.

An important issue, but I'm not sure how relevant it will be when chossing between 2000 and XP.

Ed Metcalfe

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back