Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP or 2000pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmjn

Programmer
Jul 26, 2002
US
I just bought a new computer for my kid it comes with xp and I also have win2000 pro available to load which would you suggestion I use?

How old is the kid and how much does the kid know about computers. I would suggest XP for the novice. 2000 pro is more of a business Operating System IMHO. If the kid knows alot about computers, ask which the kid wants. If it came with xp, id leave it there.

Stay with XP. To install Win2000 you'd probably have to wipe everything out and start from scratch. XP is built on the same core as 2000 but has better support for newer hardware and software.

Stay with XP. You can not upgrade from any version of XP -- Home or Pro -- to Win2K. I have a laptop that had XP Home and found out that the only upgrade was to XP Pro.
Since I needed to join a domain I upgraded to XP Pro.
You can reformat the drive and install Win2K but be sure to check the HCL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back