Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP not recognizing CD Rom drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

macsman

IS-IT--Management
Aug 27, 2001
US
I have on ATAPI (generic) CDR and a SONY CDRW. When I boot up the machine I see that it recognizes these two drives but after startup I can't see them as logical drives!!!

When I go to the Add hardware wizard I get the following error.
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

How can I solve this. I have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled several times (don't ask why I did it more than once:)). Any help would be appreciated. Kind of hard to do anything anymore w/o Cd Rom Drives.

Thanks,

Are you saying you removed these devices in Device Manager and then reboted and let Windows autodetect them?

If not, try that.

Is this a recent XP install and was it an upgrade or clean install? If an upgrade, you might want to look for remnants of an old config.sys or autoexec.bat file with a lastdrive= statement. Kind of a wild shot, but who knows. Also, I recently did a clean install of XP Pro to an existing machine with a CD and a CDRW running on the same IDE port. I had to disconnect the CDRW until XP was installed, then hook it back up and let the OS find it. Also, have you verified the proper drivers for the IDE controller is installed? Good luck!

I have a generic CDR and sony CDRW.. XP simply will not find or use the generic CDRW... it is not compatibility...this is a problem with the final releases of XP.. until i installed the final OEM release the cdr worked fine with the Sony CDRW... disable the CDR and use the CDRW(sony) Frank Smith
s0121@starband.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

Generic drives have to be made by someone. My CDRW was an OEM product which I finally found out was made by NEC. Point being, it works fine under XP. As I stated earlier, I had to unhook it until XP installation was complete. In addition to what I mentioned earlier, you need to see how you have your drives arranged on the IDE ports and make sure you have the master/slave relationships correct. It's pretty easy to screw these up and get 2 masters, 2 slaves or 1 cable select and a master or slave.

Hi,
For what it's worth, I had the same problem after installing Easy CD Creator 5.0 Platinum (with XP update). After installing I got the error message regarding both my Creative 8x4x32 and my E-IDE CD Rom. The only way I found around the problem was to use system restore. I don't know whether this is related but I also suffered the windows/system/config fouled up registry problems mentioned elsewhere and while the repair function worked temporarily, I continued to get serious problems until being forced to refomat and do a clean install of XP.

Hey there, Taxi-Driver!
I also had the problem with EZCD Creator, only it was in Win2000 with their update. I finally had to completely uninstall all the EZCD software and reinstall, being careful not to reboot the computer until the patches were in place. After that experience, I made sure to follow the same procedure when I reinstalled after I put XP on my machine. If this fellow is running EZCD, there's a very good chance you've hit on the problem.

Make sure your IDE controllers on each of the CD/CDR channels are set to PIO Mode and not DMA mode in Device Manager, some older drives dont like DMA and wont show up in Windows if this is enabled.

I also had the EZCD problem after installing I lost both my drives and had to do a re-install of XP. Microsoft mention this in their updates and I downloaded what I though was a fix for this problem, but it doesnt seem to fix it, just prevents EZCD corrupting the Cd drivers. There are lots of comments about EZCD on the Microsoft XP forums. The advice seems to be forget it and use Nero instead.

I had a similar problem with win2k, one day the drives just weren't recognised by device manager :-(

complete OS re-install was the final solution, after many hours of experimenting with different things.

hope this helps. Jon. :)
----------------------------------------
To be is to do (Sartre)
To do is to be (Casmus)
Do be do be do (Sinatra)
----------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back