Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP No Longer Updates 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Si2005

Technical User
Feb 25, 2005
GB
Hi,

I'm running a Dell OptiPlex GX280 (P4, 1Gb Ram) with XP SP2. Untill a month ago there were no issues using Windows Update through IE 6. For the last two weeks I have been unable to update, i.e. Windows Update runs to the update selection screen, I select an update(s) then the install dialogue pops up to say that updates have failed. I have also noticed that the time taken to check for updates had increased considerably.
There are 5 other users with the same setup (Same PC/Software) on the network who have no issues updating - only my PC is suffering the inability to update. I have exhusted any idea's of what might of caused this problem.

Any help would be gratefully recieved!

Thanks,

See if any of the entries on the following page can assist you.

Another thing to try is

Click Start > Run > Type the following commands in the Open box (one at a time, in sequence):

REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuapi.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuaueng.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\atl.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wucltui.dll
REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\system32\wups.dll

After re-registering the files, try the Windows Update site again.

One final thing I could suggest is to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder (found in your windows folder) to SoftwareDistribution.old

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Thanks for the suggestions Greg...

When I try to rename the SoftwareDistribution folder I get an Access Denied error. I have administrator rights to the PC, is there a simple way get around the write protect and rename the folder.

I have worked through the other suggestions and they haven't enabled updates as yet.

Thanks!

Big thanks Greg,

Have finally cracked the problem with new updates now installed! Renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder to SoftwareDistribution.old in safe mode then rebooting to normal operations got things going. Windows creates a new SoftwareDistribution folder - Windows update then ran smoothly as before.:) Must of been some corrupt files or gremlins in there somewhere.

Thanks again,

Simon

Glad you got sorted - I've seen quite a few people have some corruption in the SoftwareDistribution folder of late. Not sure if it a coincidence, Windows Update, or Malware problem.

Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Hi

I have recently had to reinstall Windows XP. Since doing so I cannot use the update function anymore. It gets to the stage of 'Checking for the latest version of the Windows Update software...' and just sits there.

Any ideas? I am running AOL 9 and use PC-Cillian antivirus.

Thanks

Hans

Try renaming the SoftwareDistribution folder as described above - solved my issue.

Greg, I've been having a similar problem with trying to update. I get right to the point where the list of updates appear one by one as they are downloaded. They appear quickly with ....failed fllowing each. I have tried several times, one at a time, with no seccess. I have also tried the above changes of Software Dist. folder and the command list. Help would be appreciated. Another PC running alongside on the same BB line has updated OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back