Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP no logoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinkerer

MIS
Apr 26, 2002
US
I have a Windows XP Pro on a domain that will not logoff for certain profiles. We don't use roaming profiles and I have renamed the suspect profiles with no success. The suspect profiles attempts to log off (Start>Logoff)and Windows changes to a grayscale for a moment and returns to full color and then nothing happens. After the 30 minutes I have to perform a hard boot (press & hold power for 5 count). This affects the local admin account as well but other user accounts can logoff normally.

Any ideas would be helpful.
Scott

Any clues in the Event Viewer?

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right-click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Try it first by not checking either box (this will run it in a Read-only mode) to see if it flags any hard drive or file problems. If it does, restart it by ticking both boxes, and rerun it to allow it to attempt to fix any found problems.

What happens if you test from Safe Mode with Networking?

310353 - How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows XP

316434 - HOW TO: Perform Advanced Clean-Boot Troubleshooting in Windows XP

310560 - How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

811151 - How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile

Error Message: Windows Cannot Load Your Profile Because It May Be Corrupted (Q318011)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back