Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Networking 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chet1

MIS
Oct 3, 2002
GB
I have set myself up with a small wireless network and everything works fine ie I can access the internet through my desktop as well as my laptop. Next I went to "network connections" on my desktop (by the way my desktop has winxp home edition on it) and went to "network tasks" and proceeded to "set up a home or small office network" using the wizard. Just before the wizard finished I got the following error message:

Spooler Subsystem App has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Can anyone shed any light on this or point me in the right direction.
Thanks

I'm receiving this error message as well. Did the link above help in your case? That seems to me to be printer related and not network releated. Any other ideas?

I to am having the same problem. I get the same message trying to setup a network. I checked out the link above and followed the procedure. I do not have lexbcesserver running on my computer. Any other ideas.

I seem to have this same problem as well. I tried the microsoft fix but it didn't work. I have a feeling it either has to do with my router (Netgear MR814v2) or QoS Packet Scheduler. Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem?

The Microsoft repair article is referring to problems with the Print Providers. Two other "fixes" have been found to work:

1. Start, Run, sfc /Scannow

2. And, clear out the printer drivers on the machine before installing networking.

i. To clear out cleanly the existing drivers:
ii. Establish your network

iii. Check for newer driver versions from the printer manufacturer's website. Update if newer drivers are available.

iv. Establish your network printer shares.

bcastner,

Thanks! Your directions worked! but I had another question. I had a Siemens 2624 router and ran the network wizard for the "setup a home or small office network". After I ran it, I was able to have a gateway connection icon for my router and a network connection icon for my pc in Netwowrk Connections. That router crapped out on me a couple weeks ago so I bought another one which is a Netgear MR814v2 router. Then I followed your directions on getting Network setup wizard to work and ran it. But I don't get the gateway connection anymore. is this problem router specific or is something going wrong? thanks!

The "Gateway" icon only appears if:

. The router supports uPnP;
. You have enabled uPnP on the client workstation (It is not installed by default. It is found under Add/Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, Networking, and clicking to enable both the Discovery Client and the uPnP service.
. the uPnP service is running in Services.msc

See if there is an option on the router to enable uPnP. If so, enable it.

If you have Service Pack installed for your XP clients you can safely use uPnP under XP.

Is there any benefit of having that "Gateway" icon in network connections? or does it have no effect whether its there or not? because I thought regardless, you are accessing the internet through the router anyways.

There is no benefit that I can see if you are not using ICS, which you are not.

There are disadvantages. It is a known corrupter of other notification area icons.

right-click, properties, and uncheck to display on the tray.

You should check to make sure that uPnP service is as you want it to be, and that the icon is not showing because there is a uPnP service failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back