Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP networking nonissue 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrB0b

IS-IT--Management
May 19, 2011
US
Hello all,
Let me start out by saying Im running on no sleep and not thinking clearly.

We have a mixed 7 and XP environment. We had a known power outage coming and we shut all PCs and servers down to avoid any issues. When I came in today to restart everything, I didnt turn on our 2nd DHCP/DNS server because I wanted to see if the slow connection speeds on a couple PCs was due to running through this server. All Windows 7 machines picked up the primary DHCP server and were assigned a new IP however the XP machines that were in the DHCP address range of the 2nd server didnt try to receive a new IP from the primary server. I set a static IP, which worked fine, and then removed it and went back to DHCP which showed it was functioning. The IP was the same as I set it when I went to a static for testing, so I released and renewed the IP but it still came back as the same IP. Maybe Im forgetting something but I thought the point of the release/renew was for it to requery the DHCP server and acquire a new IP.
The IP range on the Primary is basically .2-.99 and we only have 25 PCs in the whole plant so we have plenty of available addresses. Since the 7 PCs did this automatically at startup, I wonder if it is a local issue or server side?

"Silence is golden, duct tape is silver...

Although you did a release renew, the server would still have the IP lease for the mac address and if available would just hand the same IP address to the requesting mac. Now if you cleared the lease table at the server/router, it would get a new address.

That's what I was forgetting, thank you gentlemen.

Ok the mac address to IP leasing, is a possibility but not what is going on in this instance. Let me reword the above into what Ive now noticed.

We have 2 DHCP servers split down the middle:
192.168.0.1-99 Server 1
192.168.0.100-254 Server 2

After a complete plant shutdown of all servers and PC's, when all turned back on but 2 out of 30 PCs went with .2-.28, which makes since the way DHCP hands out IPs normally, and two of them stayed with their previous IPs, a non issue. So server 1 has all but 2 PCs in the plant on it, mixed 7 and XP. If I take say XP machine .5 and set it statically to be on the other server, say .105, and then go back to dynamic addressing, it will stay at .105. If I take 7 machine .6 and set it statically to .106, and then go back to dynamically, it goes back to .6. This makes me think that there is something inherent in 7 that is keeping a log of the server it received its last IP from.

Like I said in the headline of the post, this is a nonissue as both could handle the whole plant solo if needed but I set it sup to allow for a 50-50 spread so they could share the load. Before the mass shutdown, they were functioning side by side almost perfectly sharing the PC load on their respective IPs. Any ideas why this is going on this way now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back