Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Networking confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSponge

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
GB
Not sure if it should be posted here, please redirect me if possible...

I`m after more of an explanation rather than a solution...

My XP Pro machine is hooked up to a adsl Modem via the ethernet port, Im dont understand whats happened to the IP Addressing!

On my network at work, we have a router that has its permanent WAN IP address, then inside the network we have all the address`s 10.10.10.5 -> 10.10.10.254, (DHCP)this is pretty normal for a network, no?

I am about to set up a network at home,

The DHCP in the adsl modem is as youd expect 192.168.0.1..this I believe is normal..But I would of thought that the actual IP address of my PC would be the next IP available i.e 192.168.0.2, once networked through a wireless router (which Im getting on Monday) all the other PC`s will grab the next available IP .4 .5 e.t.c

My IP isnt? (Ive changed the numbers!)My IP address is something like 80.187.124.217
and the dhcp server is 80.187.124.216?
So how can my Modem be 192.168.0.1 and the one above?

Will this be solved once I get the router?

I actually was up all night thinking about this..and got nowhere, (You wouldnt believe I was the Network Mananger would you!)

Many Thanks in advance for a SIMPLE expalnation.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back