Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP network adpater order

Status
Not open for further replies.

lcf14

Technical User
Dec 11, 2006
US
I have a PC with two network adpaters, and one of the programs requires that the adapter it uses is listed first. Today the order of the adapters switched. I have now lost my connection to the equipment that one of the adapters is connected to. Does anyone know how to change the order that the adapters are listed, and can you prevent this from happeing in the future.

Are you using both Adapters? If not, would it help to try disabling (not uninstalling) the unused one via Device Manager?

Yes, both adapters are used. One for company network, and the other for instrument control.

Do you have two separate NICs? Or a both on a dual port card?

I have computers ar work that have Intel dual port controllers. If I connect the one with the higher MAC (00-30-64-00-00-72) to the company network (159.xxx.xxx.xxx), and the one with the lower MAC ((00-30-64-00-00-71) to my 192.168.0.xxx equipment, I have no issues. If I connect them the opposite then I can't access the company network.

Another thought. I use a simulation software package which license key is tied to the computer MAC address. I had trouble where if I disabled one port on my dual port LAN adapter, the software license manager complained. I requested the software vendor to modify their license manager to ignore the last octet of the MAC.

As you are using both Adapters, see if you can change the order via right-click on My Network Places, see the Properties page, Advanced menu on the top, and then Advanced Settings in the drop down list. Have a look at the "arrows" in Connections when you highlight a LAN which uses the Adapter.

Not too easily to explain but have a look at that area to see if you can do anything. If not there is always System Restore to get you out of jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back