Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP / Netware Queue, will not print more then 1 copy 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudyvs

Programmer
May 20, 2001
CA
I have a ipx based Netware 6.0 Server. I have printers on print servers the service print queues. All XP-PRO work stations have printers installed pointing to the print queues. No matter how many copies I request I only get ONE copy. It doesn't seem to matter which application I am using or what version of Netware (tried 5.0 - 6.5) or Netware Client (currently using 4.91 SP1, the same problem exists. However I can print from WIN98 similarly configured and print as many copies as I want!!!

I have searched both Novell and Microsoft KB's with no solid solutions found.

Any Ideas??

Sounds like a problem with print drivers. If you use HP PCL6 drivers try reverting to PCL5.

Here's some info or a start:

Netware Client 4.9x does not support any version of Netware earlier than 5.0, and does not support IPX. It was specificly written for Netware 6.0 or higher, and is backwards compatible only to 5.0.

Getting answers before I'm asked.
Providing answers if I can.

Thanks for the suggestion, however I have the duplicated the problem with 4.83 and lower version of the client. Also on install, "ipx" is still an install option, even with with 4.91. No doubt "ipx" is dissappearing, but it is still out there and in use even in the Netware 6.x world.

I seem to remember there being a custom install option during the 4.91 client install where you could add IPX. Is that what you did?

Yes exactly.

My client is using a legacy application that only prints to queues, as well as new apps that are "ip" aware and are printing directly to other "ip" print servers and printers on the same network. There are no printing problems when printing to the "ip" printers, just the "ipx" print queues and printers.

Why do you say that the 4.91 client doesn't support anything less than NW5.0 nor does it support IPX?? That's not true at all. I've never heard this before and highly disagree. Maybe Novell doesn't want to 'support' them, but it still does work.

I have hundreds of servers I deal with ranging from NW3.12 to NW6.5 and OES. I use my laptop with the 4.9x client and have no issues connecting to older servers.

The thing that "IS" true is that Novell took IPX out of the default Novell Client installation. You can get it back by doing a custom install and selecting IPX. I have this issue documented on my website at

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Thanks for the post Marvin.

My experience supports your point. All of my Clients still use IPX with the Netware 4.1 through 6.x successfully.

The only common issue is printing more then one copy from "any" application from an XP-PRO workstation to a Novell Queue. No matter how many copies you asked for you only get one. This will not happen using WIN98 with Client 3.4.

Have you tried to print more then one copy of a document printing to a Netware Queue from a XP-PRO workstation?? In all test cases I have tried (17 different servers, all using XP-PRO work stations and a reasonably current Novell Client) the results are the same.

marvhuffaker,

My comment was a quote made in my XP Pro forum thread 779-801657 by an individual whose expertise I've no reason to doubt. I was just passing it on. You are right, they don't support it, but it does/can work.

Rudyvs,

I haven't heard my XP users complaining about not being able to print more than one copy, but I do know I can't turn off the print notify broadcast. However, I do have to use the Miocrosoft Client for Netware in order to access Pervasive SQL/bTrieve on my 4.0 server and that may be having an effect on that issue. The Netware client 4.91 will not work alone in that case. The 4.83 client could connect Pervasive/bTrieve until XP SP2 came along. I understand that MS greatly minimized IPX support with SP2 due to security issues. You might want to review my thread mentioned above. Maybe there's some clues in there. Wish I could be of more help.

Just a wild thought - which frame type are you using for your IPX?

Iolair MacWalter

Currently the Frame Type is set to "Auto Detect". Do you think I should force one Frame Type??

Rudy

I've had some problems before using "Auto Detect". When I forced the frame type to Ethernet_II some of those problems got resolved. Especially with HP printers using JetDirect cards. Don't know if that will help you or not, but if it does, please post and let us know.

Iolair MacWalter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back