Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP NetBEUI workgroup problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrismithcvs

Technical User
Aug 23, 2006
GB
This one's got me stumped but i'm not the brightest so bare with me. I have a network with 7 machines (running xp pro sp2) connecting to a windows workgroup (coview_d1) using netbeui. I am trying to add 2 more machines to the workgroup, the one a laptop (xp pro sp2) which connects fine and picks up the other machines in the network neighbourhood straight away, the other a newish dell machine (xp pro sp2) which refuses to see any of the other machines in the neighborhood.
The only differences I can see between the 2 machines are:

1. when windows boots up the logon screens are different (the dell machine has the old 2000 logon screen where you have to type in a username and password - the laptop and the other 7 machines have the xp logon where you click on the users picture and are prompted for a password) - how do you change between the 2 types of logon screens?

2. when I try and map a network drive and then browse for a folder on the laptop - in My Network Places - Entire Network - I am given the choice between microsoft terminal services, microsoft windows network and web client network ( if i expand microsoft windows network, then coview_d1 I can see all the other machines in the workgroup)
- when i do the same thing on the dell machine I can only see microsoft windows network (microsoft terminal services and web client network are missing)

I know netbeui is not supported in XP but unfortunately the way the network is set up it is not possible to use tcp/ip on the LAN.

any ideas why the dell machine refuses to see any of the others in the neighborhood ? any help would be greatly appreciated !

Chris

Check the Dell for an active firewall. If there, disable and retry.

Also, do all the PC's in the workgroup have static IP's? Is the Dell in scope?

DTracy has the right idea, however - in NetBEUI there are no ip addresses as it uses NetBIOS resolution ... if TCP/IP is not an option - use IPX/SPX NetBios Compatible protocol as an option..

OR:

Have all machines use TCP/IP

Setup static IP addresses for each machine..

Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0

Gateway being your Routers.
DNS your ISP's dns (you can find that info in the status of your Router)

and ensure that all of the machines are using the same workgroup.. (a good practice here is if your laptop belongs to a corporate network domain to name the home-workgroup the same as the domain that the portables belong to ... )

This should work...

AlRo
System Administrator
Ottawa, Canada.

I'll add this:

If you router does DHCP .. find out what range of ip's it uses -- and use ip addresses in the same range.

Most DLinks for instance - will start at 192.168.1.1 with a dhcp scope of 192.168.1.50 to 192.168.1.100

So your machines in this case can use ips

192.168.1.10 to 14...

just wanted to add that - or else you could potentially have surfing issues...

AlRo
System Administrator
Ottawa, Canada.

<<1. when windows boots up the logon screens are different ... - how do you change between the 2 types of logon screens?

Control panel - User Accounts - Change the way users log on and ofoof

sorry my finger slipped;

Control panel - User Accounts - Change the way users log on or off - check the Use the Welcome screen box

HTH Hugh

thanks for the response - not sure what was the problem, gave up on it yesterday because it was doing my head in ! came in this morning and lo and behold the dell machine appeared in the network neighbourhood ! so i'm still none the wiser what the problem was !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back