Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp modem weirdness :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thuree

Programmer
Aug 26, 2000
GB
i have an external creative modem. it worked fine in win98 and it works fine in xp, but theres this tiny niggling problem.

if i boot XP up without the modem switched on, i get in and i have no modem. if i boot up with it switched on, i do. thing is, i want to be able to just switch it on and get online like i did with win98.

is this a common xp problem?
its using the 'creative modemblaster pnp' driver from the winxp installation.

like i said, its not a great big problem, but i'd like to be able to switch on without having to reboot.

ta

thur

Maybe a USB external modem would solve this problem - but why spend the xtra $ for something as insignificant as this. Don't know how you would fix the present problem.
Best Wishes

How odd, AKAIK external modems should always be switched on before the PC, I thought that had always been the case from good ol' DOS through Windows 95 ad infinitum. Maybe I'm just wishing for the good old days.
Seriously, which type of modem is it, as in Make/Model Serial/Usb etc.?

dont matter now :) went back to win98. i'll stick xp on if and when i decided to get a cable modem

ta anyway

This is a common bug of xp. The pnp service check every time xp boot the hardware so if your modem is off it recognize it as not connected..
Happens only at serials modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back