Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP: modem no longer timeout when idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTKilpatrick

Technical User
Sep 7, 2003
GB
Folks,

is there anybody here with a sufficiently deep understanding of Windows XP modem installations (Smartlink 56k voice modem) who might be able to understand why a dialup connection no longer times out when the connection is idle? The machine had MSBlaster but has been cleaned (supposedly) - it was sending streams of data via the modem.

Now, however, it sends a trickle of data every 30 seconds or so, and I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Whatever I do - uninstall and reinstall and update drivers - I cannot get the connection to pay any attention to the "hangup after n minutes when idle" options. It worked fine for 18 months. Now the connection remains active when I shut everything down that might be using it. It just refuses to timeout on idle.

I really don't know where to look, and I don't understand the registry sufficiently to know where to look for problems there, if that's where they might be.

Any suggestions?

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back