Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP machine cannot see Windows 7 machine, same network

Status
Not open for further replies.

stduc

Programmer
Nov 26, 2002
GB
On the XP machine, searching the entire network shows only the other XP machines. however pressing F3 and entering the name of the Windows 7 machine allows the XP machine to connect and browse shared folders no problem! What gives? Is there something I have to change on the Windows 7 machine?

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Are you sure the Win 7 machine is set to the same work group as the XP machines?

What happens if you browse the entire network from an XP machine, do you get other workgroups?

Is the Win 7 machine set to be discoverable?

Turnoffnetworkdiscovery_thumb.png

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Are you sure the Win 7 machine is set to the same work group as the XP machines?
Yes I am sure
What happens if you browse the entire network from an XP machine, do you get other workgroups?
No, there is only one workgroup visible.
Is the Win 7 machine set to be discoverable?
yes it is I have even dropped the security to 40 bit and I have also turned off password protected sharing.

[navy]When I married "Miss Right" I didn't realise her first name was 'always'. LOL[/navy]

Have you tried the Network Troubleshooter in Windows 7, specifically the the Shared Folders section.

"•Shared Folders - use this when you have problems accessing shared files and folders on other computers from your network".

How to Troubleshoot Network & Internet Problems

What Firewalls do you have?

Is there any difference if you test (both machines) via Safe Mode with Networking?

Can XP Ping Windows 7?

Is there any problems with either Computer Browser service?

Can you ping the Win 7 machine by name?

Make sure the Firewall is allowing incoming connections from ping and I think UDP needs to be allowed too.

Phil AKA Vacunita
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Yes, XP machines can ping the Win 7 machine successfully, both by name and by IP address. The reverse is also true. XP machine have the LLTD responder installed.

What if any UDP ports need opening on the Win 7 PC?

That's is what is so odd. Remember the XP machines can search for the Win 7 machine and then see and use its shares! But they never appear in 'my network places' or when browsing the workgroup.

I don't think you have to worry about opening ports for XP to see Windows 7. At least I never had to network XP with Windows 7. Do any of your other XP machines see the Windows 7 machine? Is it only the one XP machine having this problem?

Is this a wireless connection or wired? What type of Network Card is in the XP machine, have you checked for updated drivers?

Is it worth running something like XP via BartPE on the machine to check if that can see the Windows 7 machine?

You might be able to make use of BartPE (a mini XP self contained on a bootable CD and run from CD).

What if anything is appearing in the Event Viewer of the XP machine?

I would guess its just taking a moment to populate the Win7 machine into the work group for whatever reason.

I wonder if its something related to the master browser no picking up the Win 7 machine, maybe making the Win 7 machine be the master browser may solve it.

What do you get if you do a:
> net view

command from the command prompt?

Phil AKA Vacunita

No XP machines see either Win 7 machine when simply browsing the local workgroup.

Win 7 machines see the whole network and all machines though.

Using Net View on the Win 7 machines or the XP machines sees just the XP machines.

As I already said - It's not like the XP machines can't get to the Win 7 ones - its just they have to go by name and network places doesn't get populated.

The NIC's are whatever the mobo's came with. Generally RealTek and the drivers are up to date.

Your not going to believe this but.....

The Win 7 PC had Virtual Box installed together with VBs Virtual Host network adapter, Disabling the Virtual Host network adapter allows the XP PCs to see the Win 7 machine!

Thanks for all your efforts.

Hi guy, I am having printing problems with internet explorer 64 bit 8.0.7600 it will not print on win7 premium 64 bit but everything ok with IE 32 bit.Any solution for this problem wich i have since the installation of Win7.

Thanks for your help.

jaco235 - I suggest you start your own thread. It would be good if you could explain a bit more too. "It will not print" is not terribly helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back