Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Loaded on 2 PCs

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrain

Programmer
Aug 3, 2001
US
I have an old compaq PC that I thought was dead, something wrong on the motherboard side of the power cable, tried a few different things and could not get it running again. So I moved on and got a Dell with XP pro.

The old hard drive I loaded XP Pro using the Reinstall CD that came with the dell. It boots fine on the dell machine. As I was getting ready to put the old compaq in a yard sale low and behold it starting working. (not to upset I wanted 2 PCs anyway). Thing is I take the original harddrive now with XP Pro and put it in the PC. Bios recognizes the drive but windows will not boot. Tried even using the reinstall CD on the Compaq PC but that does not seem to work either.

Am I missing something or can you NOT install XP Pro recieved with a Dell PC on a Compaq PC?

Thanks for the help...

Remember the Past, Plan for the Future, yet Live in the Present for tomorrow may never come.
-etrain

You probably cant use the Dell win xp install.
You may have to have a stand-alone retail version to install on the Compaq.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

XP is "BIOS locked" (not to mention hardware and drivers). A system install on one computer, won't work on another computer. Actually, it can be done (not easy), if the computers are exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back