Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP keep rebooting when trying to run Stinger.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssamx39

Technical User
Feb 20, 2004
US
Have a machine that was transmitting over port 445 so I discovered which machine it was and contacted the user. Had the user download most recent version of Stinger.exe from McAfee website.

Every time we try to run the program it would run for a short time then the machine would shutdown. I had her boot into safe mode and try again and the same thing happened.

She mentioned that once upon a time she had an anti-virus SW on her machine and it would always reboot during a full scan so she had it uninstalled and it still hasn't bee the same since.

Suggestions? Anything else you helpful XP Gods need to determine the problem? Let me know.

TIA,

Carrie

Start by checking event viewer for clues about why it's rebooting-- Start, Run, eventvwr.msc

If you can get (tolerate) the machine being online for a little while, try a couple of these online virus scanners faq760-3862 to see if you can get any of them to work.

You could install a firewall like Zone Alarm, to block the outgoing transmittions so that you can be online while you further diagnose the problem.

Good advice. I will try some of these things and let you know.

BTW, will Zone Alarm (the free version) work?

I had a problem with blaster virus before I had a firewall installed, it kept re-booting.
I found by installing Zone Labs Free firewall that it would stop it from re-booting so i could then concentrate on removing the virus by downloading AVG Antivirus.

Regards John.M

Disconnect the internet/network

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

well, I have some bad news.

Ran rbkiller.exe (Rapid Blaster removal tool) and it didn't find anything.

I had her download Adaware 6.0 and run that and it ran fine the first time and then the second time it shut down her machine again.

I had her disconnect from the Internet/Network and run the Stinger.exe file that she had downloaded previously and it still shutdown her machine.

I'm now having her go to the online scan from McAfee and try that. If it works she's going to call me, if it doesn't she's not going to call me.

Next step will be Zone Alarm, do you think the free versio will do?

Any other advice?

The free version of ZA should work fine to restrict the outbound traffic you mentioned earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back