Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xp internet connection speed drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin2569

Programmer
Dec 22, 2007
AU
Hello,

I have 2 computers at home, one is Windows XP Pro SP3 and the other is Windows Vista. Both computers connected to Internet through a Netgear wireless router.

When I download files on Vista, the average speed is 400 kb/s but when I using XP to download the same file, it drops to 34 kb/s !!

Vista has build in wireless receiver and XP I'm using Netgear USB wireless adapter. I live in Perth Australia and using Telstra Bigpond ADSL 2 with speed up to 20000/1000kbps.

I also try to disable the clients DNS services but it won't make any difference. Anyone has any ideas how to improve my XP connection speed?

Thank you.

Regards,
Kevin

Is the XP machine closer or further away from the router than the Vista?
Are there any walls, radiators, microwave ovens etc in the way?
Have you tired the USB adapter in the Vista machine?

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Hi StuReeves

The Vista is located next to the router and the xp is in my room roughly 2 - 3 metres away. It is an open space and only one bedroom door is blocking the router.

I did put my Vista in my room to test the speed performance and it is working fine with download speed up to 400 kb/s and using the same USB adapter on Vista.

Thanks for your help.

Could be a driver issue...

is the XP driver the newest available?

is this an USB stick or a PCI card, we are talking about?

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back