Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Internal Domain instant messenger

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger85

Technical User
May 12, 2007
Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a instant messenger system for inside a domain, i recall in NT4 there was a free MS addon that let a user talk to another internal user without using Outlook email.

We have a simple 2003 domain with around 40 xp pc's, i've been asked to setup some software on all pcs so users can talk to each other when needed without the need of sending an email.

Looking for something free like in NT if possible, and its only for internal usage.

thanks

Is there a good alternative to NET SEND for Intranet messaging
thread779-1075637

Could I just ask: Re Openfire, is the setup file installed on the Server and/or the workstations? Thanks.

Not sure what you mean in regards to the setup file, but we use Openfire, server has it's own setup files on the server and you install the client on each pc. So far I am really pleased with it, no real issues and you can lock down things like FTP and external access.

Also gives you the ability to archive the chats, if need be. We do it simply because HR demanded it for the obvious reasons.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

thanks. So there is a separate download file for the server and a separate download for the client PC?

Yes, seperate installs - very easy with good documentation. There is also a flash based client you can use, although through testing I went with the standard client.

It is cross platform with addons/plugins available

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

twisSSt is correct. I also went with standard client and it was very easy to do. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back