Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xp installed twice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdgordon

IS-IT--Management
Jul 15, 2002
US
I have a pc with a hard drive that is partitioned into a C: partion of 34GB and D: partition of 2.75 GB.
The C: partition has XP installed and teh D: partition does as well.
When the PC starts up you have 2 choices of Windows XP if you select one it takes you to teh D: install and the other obviously takes you to the C: install.
The problem is that the user uses the the XP install that is on the smaller D: partition and she is about out of space on this d: partition.
Is there a way, and if so how, for me to get the profile that is on the D: partion to the C: partion and have just one XP install without losing any data or setting that are associated with the profile on the D: partition.
If i need to provide more information or i'm not being clear, just let me know.
Thanks

You still have the problem that all the installed software is on the D Drive.

To just copy the files you could do either:

1. Just copy the files to a new profile:
2. Use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard. Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools.

Because C is your boot drive, you cannot just clean the partition and add the space to D; and you will need to preserve D for your installed software to work.

If it was me, I would plan on a clean install of XP and all software on a single C partition.

Another easy way to do this: Get a new really big hard drive, partition it and then Ghost or image the two partions over to the new drive.

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Hi rdgordon,

I would use a variation of Jontmke's suggestion and use Partition Magic (or a similar freeware app such as Ranish PM ) to shrink C: and then expand D:

Ok so it's not what you asked but, it does solve your problem.

DkA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back