Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP INSTALLATION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyboy

Technical User
Aug 22, 2003
US
Greetings,

I have a Dell laptop which had W2000 OS installed. I installed XP, formatted the partition, etc. However, when I boot up a menu pops up and asks which OS I want to boot. What did I do wrong and how can I get a clean XP install.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Ray

You probably did not format the partition correctly.
Windows 2000 uses C:\Winnt as system folder, while WinXP uses C:\Windows, installing Windows XP in its default location, while 2000 still existed in Winnt would result in Dualboot setup.

To install the system correctly, make sure you tell WindowsXP setup to format the partition, where 2000 exists, completely.

Better yet remove the partition and recreate it from within the WinXP setup.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

This can happen even with a clean install - for some reason the install process sometimes saves the boot.ini file before you get to the bit where you can add/remove/format partitions - then uses it as base for new one - so you get an apparent dual boot (does the 2k one work - if not, 2k is gone).

If all the 2k stuff is gone (ie, mainly \winnt folder), then just edit the boot.ini file (you can do this from system properties, advanced tab, Startup and recovery, then edit button) to remove the 2k entry. If 2k stuff is still there, you could edit boot.ini and remove \winnt - but I'd start again to get a proper clean install (unless you've already spent lots of time setting up apps etc).

goto start-run and type msconfig. goto the boot tab and check boot links and delete the one for 2000. should fix problem

if you really want to a complete clean install and do a low level format, try this one:
get a 98 floppy boot disk from start your pc with boot disk in the machine
after win98 comes up, enter fdisk
display partition(s) (if any)
delete partition(s)
create new partition
restart
format the hard disk
turn pc off
take win98 boot disk out
put xp cd in the cd rom drive
turn pc on
get into bios