Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

barwarner

Technical User
Jun 22, 2004
US
I just got a new Dell 2.8 GHZ PC. It came with XP Home edition imaged on the hard drive. I own XP Pro, so I ran XP Pro setup, formatting the drive NTFS. After the formatting was complete, Setup copied files to the hard drive. Then Setup rebooted the PC and a reboot cycle started. The computer just keeps loading the Dell logo, a progress bar goes from left to right, and then it reboots again and runs through the same rountine over and over again, until I stop it by powering off the PC. I have talked to Dell about it and they do not think it is a hardware problem - and I agree. I have rerun Setup and it does the same thing - it runs fine until a reboot is needed.
Any ideas on what is going on would be appreciated.

Barry

By the way, what model Dell.
If an 8400 with SATA drives you have some work to do.

I just bought a new Dell 8400 computer with a SATA HD. It came with XP home and I want to install XP Pro. However, when I run setup it says it cannot find a hard drive.

Any help is appreciated,

Jeff

Or use Intel's latest driver:
Get a working floppy disk drive from another computer and add it temporarily to the Dell system. There is a connector on the motherboard for a floppy drive.

Change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD drive is the first device. Boot with the XP Pro CD. You will start install and use the F6 option, then S to install additional RAID drivers with the diskette you created above.

Then remove all existing partitions, create new ones and do a thorough format.

Proceed with the install.

This is a Dell 3000. Dell is sending me a replacement hard drive with a new image on it. They want me to start over and say the problem installing XP Pro on the PC is rare and shouldn't happen again. I'm skeptical that starting over is going to fix the problem. Thanks for all the replies.

There could well be something in the system restore partition created by Dell that is of issue, and has been fixed.

I followed bcastner's suggestion and ended up using Intel's RAID driver from the link above. After hitting F6, then pointing to my A drive, I had to choose between two drivers on the floppy:

Intel(R) 82801FR SATA RAID Controller
Intel(R) 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller

Because I didn't know what the second was, I chose the first one, and the installation has completed.

I would love to know what exactly I did and why I had to do it this way, if you don't mind explaining it to me in a bit more detail. I have installed XP many times previously and never had to deal with the F6 option.

I guess there is no need for Dell to deliver a new hard drive to me - this installation should be fine, right?

Thanks for the help.

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back