Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP install

Status
Not open for further replies.

oseney

Technical User
May 26, 2004
For some reason, an XP install CDROM wouldn't boot on a new system. Obviously, I got a new one to replace it. But it got me thinking - was there any way I could have started SETUP from the un-bootable disk, given that it won't run under DOS?
This cut out the obvious route of first booting up from a DOS floppy.
Any ideas out there?

erm, I've never actually tested this out, but I think the install executable will run under dos, I mean the very basic gui screens that let you choose partition to install or format or optional drivers to load...

you'd need to load the cd rom drivers on your boot disk though...

Of course, I'm not sure a dos floppy would work though...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Don't run at all under DOS

Boot DOS with CD-ROM drive support, change active drive to the CD-ROM drive, change directory to I386 (cd \i386), enter the command: WINNT

Just be sure that DOS SMARTDRV is loaded before doing this otherwise you're in for a LONG install while the pre-GUI setup files are copied off the CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back