Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP IMAGING

Status
Not open for further replies.

klh456

MIS
Oct 11, 2002
US
I want to prepare an image for XP. I am looking for a utility which will clear out all machine specific drivers. Is this part of sysprep or another utility?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Try Norton Ghost 2003. I successfully used it to clone my system disk. I remember reading about preparing an image and if it works as well as the cloning did for me you will be satisfied.

Actually I use Ghost to image the machines. I will check the documentation.

Thanks.

I also have used Ghost in the past, but they had a problem sending the image to a network drive in the last version, so I switched to image cast. Nice program. I like it better.

Ron

I use Drive Image 2002 to image XP pro , works like a dam Kelly

Maybe I am asking this question wrong. I use Ghost 7.5 and it works very well. However, what I want to do is prepare 2 generic images. One for a desktop and one for a laptop so no matter what computer I use I can reimage it with the one "master" image. I run into a problem with the laptops. An image made on an "older" laptop will work fine for all of the older machines, but one made on the newer machines will not work on the older and vice versa. I haven't experimented as much with desktops but suspect it will be the same. When the image does not work it will not open Windows at all. It goes to the screen where I can choose, Safe Mode, Normal, etc. and nothing opens.

Any ideas?

You might take a look at this web site.

To make a "generic" image you will need to use sysprep to load all of the drivers that XP might need. I haven't created the perfect generic image yet, but I am getting closer.

Good luck - KN

Doh...

Check off Mini-Setup in Sysprep before re-sealing. As far as I can tell Full PnP just adds 10 minutes to the first boot

We use sysprep to create generic images but takes too much time. I have used ghost images with specific hardware on different models of Dell Optiplex PC's and the only time XP has trouble is when original image had ACPI enabled in BIOS of original and not newly imaged PC. If you try to boot into safe mode, it hangs on agpcpq.sys Try updating BIOS or enable/disable ACPI.

We've been using Ghost here for years now. IF you create an image and then load it to another system with different hardware, you can just do a repair install with Win XP. Not the fastest way to do it, but it will get past the BSOD's. MCSE, A+

If, I understand what most people are saying, then I am doing this right. I use sysprep to prepare the machine and then make a GHOST image before going back into WINDOWS XP.

I will check into the ACPI setting because that may be the reason I have problems on certain laptops. I believe I will see this same behavior when I start working heavily with the new and old desktops as well.

Thanks for all the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back