Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp home to xp pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

willdwilly

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
CA
is it possible to up grade xp home to xp pro without losing programs or data, and what is a good backup program for daily bachups. Kelly

Yes an upgrade from Home to Pro is allowed:
But, if your XP Home edition was pre-installed on your computer at purchase it may neither be possible nor advisable. These "OEM" pre-installed versions do not always qualify for upgrading, and may not be acceptable to XP install as "qualifying media" for a clean install.

In addition, if the XP Pro version you have obtained (or plan to obtain) is an OEM FUll version of XP Pro it will only permit a clean install and not an upgrade to XP Pro.

See for further discussion of the issue: faq779-4004

Call the computer manufacturer tech support and ask them what upgrade path you qualify for; they may even be the least cost source for an XP Pro upgrade or Full CD version. If they are clueless or not helpfull, call Microsoft and ask.

I have decidedly mixed feelings about an Upgrade path versus a clean install of Pro. I have done several upgrades from Win9x and Win2k without issue, but you read in forums such as this of nightmares. If you have a backup tape drive, second hard disk, writeable CD drive, then backup your data, run the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard ( ) and make a copy of the FAST database, then do a clean install involving a repartition and format of the drive as the first step.

If you have a XP CD.

Browse the folders on your XP CD you will find a backup program there. You have to install NTBackup yourself in Home.

Load your XP Cd and Select Perform Additional Tasks, then select Browse This CD. Go to ValueAdd/ MSFT/ NT Backup.

How can I use Windows XP's NTBackup to back up files to CD-RW?

FREE easy backup methods:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back