Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home peer to peer network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Feb 19, 2001
US
Hello I created a 15 node peer to peer network. All machines running Windows XP Home and all part of the same workgroup (IMD)All clients were able to see each other in Network Places with their repective folders shared. Now 3 of the clients can't browse the network anymore getting error "IMD is not accessible, make sure you have approriate rights". If i use the run command and type \\computer1 i can perfectly reach the computer, but can't in network places. This all started when i added 4 new pc's to the workgroup. Any suggestions, thanks.

Howdy:

A few to many systems on the same workgroup..

For Windows XP Professional, the maximum number of other computers that are permitted to simultaneously connect over the network is ten. This limit includes all transports and resource sharing protocols combined. For Windows XP Home Edition, the maximum number of other computers that are permitted to simultaneously connect over the network is five.

Murray

Exactly of all 15 pc's only one really goes into all other pc's resources, so i don't think the above error replies to my situation. Any other clues, thanks.

But, the system is networked right with files on each system being shared, correct?? Therefore, every computer that is on has access to recources on every other system that is on at that time as well !!

Murray

SESaskDFC,

He could have thousands of XP Home Workgroup clients on a network. The only limitation is that no one computer can host more than five simultaneous connections to its shared resources.

My guess is that he should check carefully the Workgroup Name in System Properties, be consistent in whether Simple File Sharing is enabled or not, check that Netbios over TCP/IP is enabled in TCP/IP Properties (Advanced, Wins tab); and be certain all Computer Names are unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back