Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home on an existing workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyblue

Technical User
Jun 10, 2002
US
i've got a windows workgroup with 3 Win98 pc's and one Win2000Pro PC. a DeskJet printer is attached to the win2000Pro box. i created users with 'users' privilege on the win2000Pro box for the win98 users to be able to print. this all worked fine.

just removed one win98 box and replaced it with a new PC and new install of XPhome. when i try and setup the printer it doesn't fine the printer on the Win2000Pro box.
if i manually 'connect' to the Win2000Pro box, the printer will show up and i can add the printer. but after a reboot on the XPhome box, the printer shows as not connected.

what am i not doing correctly to make the XPhome box remember, or reconnect automatically to the printer?

i have no password on the users of the win2000Pro box and no password on the XPhome box.

i noticed in my messing around, i think using one of the wizards, that it said it was going to connect as //workgroup/owner ?? shouldn't it connect as //workgroup/username ? is my problem that it is using the wrong connect name?

thanks in advance..
eric thanks,
eric

'when i try and setup the printer it doesn't fine the printer on the Win2000Pro box.
if i manually 'connect' to the Win2000Pro box, the printer will show up and i can add the printer'

what does this mean? how do you 'manually connect to winn2000 pro box? How are you trying to set up the printer? (add printer, browse the network?)

by manually connect, i mean i browse the network and when i see the win2000 box, i click connect, it asks for a username/password and i'm connected. it shows me a couple icons for the printer, myDocuments etc located on the win2000 box.
then on the XP box, i go into control panel, click on printers, click on add a printer, browse the network and it shows the printer, and then the printer works. but if i try and add the printer without manually connecting, the printer doesn't show up when browsing to find it.
and when i shutdown XP and reboot, the printer icon is still there, but it says not connected.
thanks,
eric

Map a drive to the printer and include the password and user name.
net use x:\\lpt1\printer_share_name password user:user_name persistent:yes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back