Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtMonkee

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
US
for some reason I cannot browse my workgroup in My network places from an xp client. Any ideas?

This would happen if you're behind a firewall. When you come to a fork in the road, take it. Yogi Bera

Hey thanks alot, but I need a Firewall.Any suggestions?

Nah, it worked for awhile but I still am not able to browse my network. The firewall is back on. You think it could be something in the net config. Maybe computer browsing service?

What are you using for a firewall? You should be able to tell it that the other computers on the network are trusted. If by chance you are using ZoneAlarm they provide for this in the configuration settings.

Kent

Can other pc's in the workgroup browse the XP computer? Type of firewall? Does it work if you disable the firewall? Of course, you made sure you had the same workgroup name setup on the XP pc, right?

Need a lot more info... ~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Kent, I am using zone alarm pro and I think it is configured correctly. Where exactly are the settings for this in zone alarm?

cdogg, yes the host computer can see the xp client and can browse the network. I am using zone alarm pro. No it still won't work if I disable the firewall. I am using mshome(default) in all computers

cdogg,the firewall(zone alarm) is installed only on the host xp computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back