Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP home network on the fritz

Status
Not open for further replies.

brightstar

Technical User
Sep 20, 2002
Everything is working fine one minute and then, no, hold the show, its all gone. no network connection. well, when i say that, my connection is fine, im sending packets but not receiving any. after running ipconfig it tells me i havent got an IP address. i ran /release and /renew but it failed to renew. i can get the connection back for about 30 mins after running the internet connection sharing wizard... but then after a little while it disapears again. cable is fine, connection itself is fine, modem is fine... im not.
the problem is with 2 xp machines, one as host with internet connection and one as client sharing the connection.

any ideas?

Power saving setting of NIC? Look at network card power saving features in Device Manager.

ok. I'll give that a try when i get home.
but im not sure that's it, because neither have been played with on the host or the client machine. and it just cut out all of a sudden, mid-session.
i'll post back either way.

what is processing the DHCP requests? When you're doing Release and Renew -- upon renew - your machine is sending BOOTP packets for a dhcp request. What is providing the IP address to that machine? Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

well from the client i assumed it would be the host xp machine. ive done it on the host and from there i assumed it would be my ISP.
it was lasting about 30 mins.
now redoing the network wizard is having no effect.
it is proper gone.

umm.. i doubt that.. ISP's only issue one IP per subscriber atta time.

If you want two concurrant connection to your isp, i would suggest get a Cable/DSL router -- Netgear, Linksys, and other manufacturers make them. They vary in price - but usually around $120+ to buy - really cheap all things considered.

I don't work for any of these people - just sharing things that i have worked with in the past.

That is the set up I have at home - my cable/dsl router provides IP addresses to the internal network, acting as DHCP server, while acting as a DHCP client to my ISP. The isp gives it's IP to the Router... and the router/gateway provides connection sharing.

What is probably happening here is that when you release and renew - you're conflicting with your other machine.. and because the lease of the IP from the ISP has already been leased out - you are not receiving another ip.

Now.. i have heard of Connection Sharing acting as DHCP server .. I have just never played with it... so i'd be looking at your DHCP scope (if you even have one), in your Internet Connection Settings .. make sure that your scope is an internet Class "a" address .. and that IP and dhcp forwarding is switched off. Last thing you need to become a rogue dhcp server on the Internet.

Those are my thoughts based on the info provided.

Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Cable/DSL router -- Netgear, Linksys, and other manufacturers make them. They vary in price - but usually around $60 - or less - use pricewatch.com, buy.com, ebay.com, etc.

I'm CANADIAN.. LOL everything here is expensive..

Cool.. thanks for the info.

cheers. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

As a Canadian can you still order from US sellers? Maybe we could trade something - I like salmon & Maple syrup for instance. Dave.

lol... Best salmon's on the west coast..
I'm in Maple Syrup central .. Alshrim
System Administrator
MCSE, MCP+Internet

Maple syrup is terrific! I traveled by car to Halifax, & had great time after college. Visited Halifax Citadel, very impressive.

Anyway, as I was saying (since your location was not self-evident), can you order from US vendors? What are your local costs? You can email me via dydavid@hotmail.com.

Dave Y.

I suggest you start from the beginning. From installing network adapters to configuraion to network wizard. Also sometimes a Firewall could be your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back