Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home member of W2K3 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESSulzer

Programmer
Jan 11, 2005
US
I was surfing through the posts here, and some mentioned (a LONG time ago) that there was a work around to allow a XP Home client to be able to join a domain. Does anyone remember/know how to do this? I have 2 laptops in my company that are running XP Home, and with me having set up Active Directory for file management, it will not work with the CEO and VP not being able to join and access the files also!

TIA

Doing this will probably void your support from Microsoft and/or the laptop vendor, since xp home isn't supose to be able to do this.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

mrdenny is absolutely right I imagine MS would tell you to get stuffed if you asked for any kind of support, as this is the CEO's laptop be aware of this.
However as the document says it is possible and if you are prepared to proceed with limited support then that’s how. (Apparently anyway I’ve never tried it, it's far more cost effective to buy XP pro)

What this hack does is provide credentials for resource usage such as mapped drives/printers only. The resource must be attached manually via the workstation, as XP Home fundamentally does not support AD Group policies, even with this hack, so there is no domain login script processing.

Further, be aware that this hack stores a username/password combination in clear text in the registry.

Based on the into just provided
dkediger said:
...be aware that this hack stores a username/password combination in clear text in the registry.

I'd say spend the money and get XP Pro. Imaging if a competor gets there hands on this laptop. Now they have the CEO's username and password and access to everything he's got access to on the network. Such as the financials, budgets, uncomming plans, customer contacts, etc.

The few dollars between XP Home and XP Pro is a small price to pay to not open your self to these kinds of risks.

Denny

--Anything is possible. All it takes is a little research. (Me)

[noevil]
(My very old site)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back