Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home - Generic Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flavor4real

Technical User
Jun 3, 2003
US
hello,

on a sony laptop, xp home: i had som problems and i wanted to update the system over microsoft. everytime when i go and try to update. it ask me for accept the agreement, then it start for downloading for a little while, until a error message comes up and say something about a generic 32 problem. then the windows update disconnect.

it take's me a long while to get to the same point. a couple newstarts, then windows system update check over the web site. i accept,.. then nothing...under network connection i see that i receive something but no windows install. window or so.

i could go back over this vaio restore to fact. setting but i do not have a windows xp home bachup disk or so. same "shortcuts" are not working ..cut, past ,... .

somewebsites with java were not working either, it load but blank page after it is done.

INternetsettings are ok. so how can i get a SP1 update? or should i restor to fact. setting? is there a way to back up the opperarting system on a disk for reinstall? i do have the product key

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::: 55-Studio.com :::::::::::

ps...what does that error message means " generic problem" ?? it comes up almost everytime now and i reported this to microsoft allready

Hi,
This may be a dodgy install so I would reinstall the OS.

ok i will try this.
1. is there any kinda way to backup the complete opperatingsystem from the computer on a cd?i got the product key but no CD to the it, that the system on the computer.

2. i uninstalled MCFEE (antivirus) and everytime when i start the computer, 2 error messages coming up saying that the program is missing and i have to install it again.

How can i get these messages away?

thank y'all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back