Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home Edition Users can't log on to Exh 2000 OWA

Status
Not open for further replies.

datamonitor

IS-IT--Management
Jan 22, 2003
US
Recently I upgraded Exchange 5.5 to 2000 and so far no body complained but some users who tries to log on to OWA from Windows XP Home edition computers.

If same user logs on with XP Pro, 2000 Pro or Machintosh, there is no problem. However, XP Home Edition computer Says "page not found" after user puts his users name and password.

Is there known issue that I should be aware or how can I get around that issues.

Thanks,

are you sure it's the OS ? I had a similar problem with users having problems logging in and we found out that it was AOL. The AOL browser doesn't work with OWA for some reason. Our AOL users have to open a separate browser window after connecting in order to login.

No, I am sure it is OS. I don't think it is the AOL issue. Couple users with XP Home Edition reported that they can't browse. After entering username and password "Page not found" appears.

could there be issues with the built-in firewall on XP ?? I'm just throwing that out there. I think MS made a change to enable the firewall by default on new installations, I think i may have read that a change was made in a patch or SP. Maybe this is causing issues.

Permissions. You need basic not integrated. XP home doesn't play in a domain.

XMSRE

Yes

XP home should not exist in a domain, if you can upgrade everyone to Professional.

The Matrix Has you !

The Matrix is wrong, here anyway.
The users are 'Home' or away-users connecting to OWA, so those are not in the Domain in this case.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

Marc

What I was trying to say was XP home should not exist !

Follow the White Rabbit !

What I was trying to say is that is does not matter for OWA, you don't even have to use Windows for it.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]
How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq219-2884

It does if you don't have basic authentication enabled. If you do have basic authentication enabed in OWA, the browser doesn't even need to be on a windows platform [although functionality may be reduced depending on the browser's features].

To have XP work with OWA do the following...In the XP client machine, open Internet explorer. Click the tools drop down menu. Options. Click on the advanced tab. Uncheck the box that says Enable Integrated Windows Authentication.

The user needs to log in with

domainname\username as the username.

Cheers
-JO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back