Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP home domain connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ftook

Programmer
Dec 4, 2006
GB
Im a bit confused, I have set up windows server 2003 std and have created domain tu.local, i have also set up and linked 4 client pc's with vista business. the main requirement at the moment is to file share from the server. I know that XP and Vista home cant link to a domain.

but i tried to open a shared server file from the xp-home pc and there was no problem (i had to put username/password in). does this mean that although xp-home cant link to a domain, it can access files on the server as a p2p.

I think you've answered your own question. As far as I'm aware (not having worked with it much) XP home can't (without a hack) can't join a domain, but it can still carry out p2p networking and access shared resources.

Steve G (MCSE / MCSA:Messaging)

Thanks Steve for your answer - i wonder if you could help me with a further query.

The domain users have varying levels of what they can do with their own PC when logged on to the domain (as their user profile), where is the area within w2003 server that allows the administrator to setup and determine what users can and cant do, or is the control on each client pc.

What you are talking about is Group Policy. You might have the Group Policy Management Console installed (if not I suggest you install it) in which case you would use this to control your policies. If it isn't installed then look for the Group Policy tab in the OU's properties where you can manage the policy for that OU. There is also a tab in the domain properties as well.

Steve G (MCSE / MCSA:Messaging)

thanks again for the info - have played with settings seems really powerfull, i have set the server up at home to practice, the clients (my daughter) cant even change her system time, do i change this ability within the policy GPO or do i set it against her user profile properties.

When you set the GPO are they set per domain or can you have different GPO for different user types.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back