Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearyogi

Technical User
Nov 20, 2003
US
The other night my wire downloaded ca internet security suite 2007 and installed it. I wasn't watching but that's what she tells me.
Anyway during one of the reboot processes during the install process the computer locked up (BSOD).

Now I can not seem to get it boot properly.

I have tried booting from the install cd for XP and going to the Recovery Console. I've ran the chdsk and if found an error so I reran it chdsk /r c: and I assume that it fixed it.

Still can not boot the system.

If I try to do a repair to XP then it gets to the point of reviewing the partions and it doesn't seem to be recongnizing that there is already a version of windows on there.

Any advice would be greatly appreceiated.

Is there a way to tell it not to load the ca internet . . . software during boot?

At what point does your system freeze when you try to boot into windows, what make is your hdd? Can you boot into safe mode? Sounds like youve got a corrupted boot sector on your hdd but more info needed

I don't remember off the top of my head. I will have to boot it again when at home to make sure.
The master is a WD and slave is Maxtor
No I can not boot into safe mode. It starts but once the files start scrolling on the screen then it reboots.

I just booted it up again and it comes up to the start windows normally option and starts to count down.

Whatever I select I am going to end up with a BSOD or it restarting.

Thanks again.

Get the full safe mode menu by pressing F8 during boot. Assuming sp2 installed you will have option to disable restart on failure. Select it - you should then get a BSOD which might have some helpful info.

Could also try selecting last known good from menu.

If you want to do a repair reinstall (which it sounds like you have attempted), I'd suggest disconnecting the slave drive. The install process often doesn't spot existing installations when > 1 drive present.

Otherwise, my post in thread779-1451418 has suggestions for restoring registry to earlier state (like a manual system restore).

Problem - until you can post what BSOD you are getting, we are all in a GUESSING mode...

but it sounds like a driver issue, causing the BSOD (but it is just a guess)...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Just something to add to the list of guesses.

A Discussion About the Bootcfg Command and Its Uses

Also look at the FixBoot and FixMbr commands in the Recovery Console.

The drive manufacturer will have free bootable diagnostic software on their site which will thoroughly check the condition of your hard drive.

How to Use System Files to Create a Boot Disk to Guard Against Being Unable to Start Windows XP (Q314079)

Q305595 - HOW TO: Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back