Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home and Win 98 sual boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richlondoner

Programmer
Jul 26, 2002
GB
Hi all,
I have win XP Home edition pre-installed on C: on my new computer, I don't have the CD so a unintsall is not an option! I want to put win 98 on and keep XP Home.

The reason for this is

a) no PWS or IIS support at all on XP Home.
b) XP Home good for games.

Basically I want to play the games in XP Home and do my ASP web pages in Win98 using the PWS or IIS.

I have loads of stuff installed on XP already and don't want to go through the pain of re-installing eveything. Plus I guess any partition would mean the re-install of Win XP Home, which would be a bit of a problem since I don't have the XP CD.

How do I get to install Win98 (have original CD) without mucking up my XP Home?

Many thanks,
Richard
richard@millsfamily.worldonline.co.uk

Get another hard drive? You can't install win98 without having another partition/drive free (and with XP already installed, you'll be doing it the wrong way round for XP's dual boot menu to work - you'll need a 3rd party boot manager. I'd recommend the one at if you do this - its very good & free for personal use). So, either buy something like partition magic, which (assuming you have enough free space) will let you shrink your current partition to make room for a second for win98 (note - if you do this, you will need to 'hide' the XP partition while you install 98 or 98 install won't run. Boot-us software I mentioned has tools to do this) or buy another drive and install win98 there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back