Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP hard drive 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundust1

Technical User
Jul 29, 2005
US
I have just been infected by something and it wiped my harddrive out. I lost all my programs and files i built up. The last thing i remember there was a program trying install on my computer. A Microsoft info file to be exact. It keep't trying to install. But, i cancelled it. Then when i went to reboot my computer i had a error message with a Hex code. So I tried to repair my MBR with my XP cd. nothing worked. So finally, i tried with safe mode and i got an error saying that there was contention with my license. I finally blanketed the drive and tried reinstalling my Xp. Know i'm getting all these errors saying that a file is corrupted or missing. This is with my XP CD. Store bought. I would like to know if a virus could be infecting my hard drive to make this happen and how can i get rid of it. I used fixboot, fixmbr, i even used chkdsk and everytime something would happen and not let me install a fresh copy of XP. I can however get into knoppix and get on the net as i'm doing now. This might be a software issue Please if anyone knows of a fix write.
thanks sundust1

Hi

Working on what you have said (and please fill in the gaps)
If you really totally reformatted the hard drive totally (no idea what a 'blanketed is' :) using Fdisk or similar such that it was totally cleared and rescanned for errors (my trick using no clever external software is to boot from the XP CD, format Fat32, complete, abort and reformat (full not quick) as NTFS) then you have to look elsewhere for the problem (cursing having formatted the drive as you go). Did you Fdisk it or just delete all the files?

If you did completely wipe and chkdsk test it in a full reformat then I'm thinking you have a memory or processor problem so pull all your memory except 1 stick, re seat that and while you are at it check the processor heatsink is firmly attached and the disk drive cables likewise (that includes the CD/DVD).

I lean however towards the theory that you have a HDD failure or less probably a Motherboard/processory fault. That's because
a) Knoppiox works from a CD so there are some conditons where the Processor/MB/Memory are OK and
b)there are surprisingly few viruses that actually do wipe or your stuff or prevent booting - it just isn't conducive to virus propogation so it doesn't often get programmed that way.

However the average microsoft update on XP triggers a load of writing to disk, updating of registries and creation of restore folders etc and can be unlucky if the HDD is failing anyway

If you have some old small/slow HDD in a box someplace (i.e. my attic is full of them :) this is the time to dig one out and try to boot up using what is still there / install/upgrade to it. Or for $40 get a new HDD and start again - you can always use the current one as a D: drive if it gets redeemed.

HTH

Thanks, I have not done the full format part. I used a blanket program that wipes out my partitions. Same as fdisk but, faster. My hard drive is new. I will try it again with the full format using fat32. Thanks again.

Best thing to do in your situation is get the hard drive mfgr diagnostic program and put it on a cd or a floppy.
Inside you will find a program that will "write zeroes to the hard drive". Use that. When done you can fdisk and format in dos or just let windows format. I format in dos (fat32) and then i let windows format again in NTFS. The above, when done, will clean up any hard drive.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Thanks Garebo i did a zero fill already. No luck it is under warranty and i called to have it replaced.

Generally if a zero fill doesnt do it, you are outta luck. In your case, still in warranty, yes!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back