Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP hanging

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEShier

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2002
US
I have a very frustrating problem with XP. Anytime I try to access a file in explorer, it freezes. However, there is absolutely nothing going on with my system. I have 1.5 GHz, 512MB Ram, 80 GB disk. I have disabled anti-virus. I have run Ad-Aware. I have disabled all unnecessary services. If I go to My Computer and right-click a file, I get the hour-glass for about 25 seconds before I get the menu. Same thing happens if I double-click the file. Zero CPU utilization, zero memory utilization, zero disk activity. Nothing at all. Then all of a sudden it will pop. It happens every time I try to access a file through explorer. The strange thing is, I can open Word or Excel and use the File-Open just fine. I also, just tried un-plugging my network cable, and the problem temporarily went away. It returned immediately upon plugging it in again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Adam

No ... nothing in Event Viewer. I finally gave up last night and formatted my hard drive and re-installed everything.

Everything is great now, but I will certainly hold on to this information in case it happens again ... I have way too much stuff on my machine to go through this exercise again.

Thanks for the info.

Adam

Adam,

Had the same problem a couple of months ago. Didnt go so far as to format and reload, but I can see your frustration as far as that goes.

What I found is that it was related to my network connection protocols. I was on a home network with several other machines, and for some reason NetBIOS had installed itself on my machine. Upon removal of that beast of a protocol, the problem went away immediately. Since NetBIOS uses name resolution through local LMHOSTS files, without that file being updated to show the real names of the network hosts, the protocol would just slow the sh** out of everything on the system.

Tuck this one away for future as well, Adam. Sorry I didnt see this post sooner.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back