Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp...gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leitana

Technical User
Jul 6, 2003
MY
Someone installed acronis os loader while i was gone.
I ignored it, since it was not causing any problem, beside, I don't know what will happen if i try to do it.

after about a couple of weeks, somehow, I got a message stating that

<system root>/system32/hal.dll is missing or corrupted, please reinstall a copy of the file.

xp cd does not recognize there is already an installation of windows, so I cannot simply repair it.

the first time this happen, All I did was install XP pro into another partition, modify boot.ini and delete the new installation. voila. Old xp pro up and running.

But, the next time this happens (another couple of week after, sigh), after doing the new installation, i found out that c:\windows and program files folders are there, but minus the contents. Ontrack's Easy recovery did not find the system files. is there any way for me to recover my old system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back