Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP fresh install EULA error

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenris

Programmer
May 20, 1999
CA
I don't know what is going on! I bought a new computer with XP pro CD, but they didn't install the O/S as per my request. So I am at home and trying to install the sucker but I keep getting this missing EULA error.

I tried booting from the cd, I tried a win98 boot disk and then running i386\winnt.exe. But I still get the same error.

Any ideas why this is happening? Troy Williams B.Eng.
fenris@hotmail.com

If you had an agreement to have them install XP, I would go back to the company you purchased it from and ask them to install it free of charge.

Otherwise, if that isn't an option. Search Micro$oft's Knowledge base ( They might have something in there. Make sure to type in the exact error message that you get. Mike Wills
RPG Programmer (but learning Java)

"Kernel Panic has performed an Illegal Operation, so I must defrag the situation before Dr. Watson reads the logs and discovers a lost cluster."

Are you ABSOLUTELY positive it's a LEGAL WindowsXP CD?
EULA error refers to the "End User License Agreement".
You DO have the booklet with the key on it...? Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Do you seriously think I would post this question if it was not a legal copy! The doorknobs where I bought the computer took over three weeks to get the computer ready when I bought it from them, so I am not going back there with any question!

And yes I do not what EULA stands for!

The sticker with the key is located on the computer case...

I finally got it to work but installing my version of windows 98, then upgrading (or migrating, I can never remember?) to windows XP Home. I have had this problem with client computers and windows 2000. It is a real pain to have to install a serrogate operating system to get the prefered one to work!

Troy Williams B.Eng.
fenris@hotmail.com

Sorry if I sounded trite, it's just that one never knows the intelligence or competence level of another poster, until the questions have been asked. :D
It sounds like you were sold an upgrade CD, and not a full install CD... Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

It seems to me that it is an OEM disk, since I purchased a new dell. I thought that this disk would work after I formated the hard drive (I hate the way dell partitions the drives!).

This is what happened,

I booted from the disk, it copied a bunch of temporary files to the hard drive and then it complained about the EULA.

Then I tried booting from a win 98 boot disk, as I couldn't figure out how to make an XP boot disk from the cd-rom. There didn't appear to be any boot disk directory like in w2k. Anyway that did the samething...

I had encountered this before with w2k pro on a client's machine. I solved the problem there by installing windows NT, then W2k pro. The client had purchased a full version of w2k pro from office depot.

I am at a loss and I don't know what is going on. I am nervous about doing a clean install for my clients.

Troy Williams B.Eng.
fenris@hotmail.com

To do a clean install of XP, fdisk, format etc., using any Windows startup disk. Then you have two options, set the computer to boot from the CD-ROM and install that way, or browse the CD, change to the i386 folder, and start the install using winnt. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I had used i386\winnt.exe and that didn't work....

The install started fine, but then it complained about the EULA. Troy Williams B.Eng.
fenris@hotmail.com

fenris,

I too wanted a fresh install. I deleted all my partitions and re-created a fresh clean one. I did NOT do any formatting.

I booted from the cd (mine booted just fine, I have an upgrade though). The installation process made me switch my XP Pro disk with my ME disk and then back.

When XP Pro installed, it found the unformatted partition and asked wheter I wanted a FAT32 or NTFS partition. I have had zero problems.

You might try this solution

I've read from others that there is an issue of the number on installs you can do EVEN IF u have a legal copy of XP.

"For one, you can only legally put this on 2 computers. It requires activation by Microsoft and they won't let you put it on more than 2 computers. The problem is, I installed Windows XP and it caused problems with both of my systems (check for my review of Windows XP). So, I had to reformat and reinstall all of my software. When I went to reinstall office, I had to call Microsoft and argue with them to get them to allow me to use the software. After paying $500, I was pretty angry.

The support rep at Microsoft told me if my computers crashed again, even though it is because of their operating system, I would have to repurchase Windows and Office XP. That is $900 (2X $200 Windows XP professional on 2 systems and 1X $500 for Office XP). They said I would no longer be able to activate my software after only 1 day of owning it!!! "

HAS ANY0NE HAD TO REINSTALL SEVERAL TIMES AND HAD THIS EXPERIENCE?

kjonnnn,

That is very innaccurate. You will NOT have to buy a new copy of XP if it is on the same system. The tech was incorrect. All you have to do is call and tell them that you had to reinstall or that you changed hardware. If they give you any grief, throw a fit and they will do it. The tech you dealt with was simply wrong.

JRoenick

PS: its ridiculous that you should have to call to use your own software anyway.

If you have the exact error message, It would be helpful for me.

JRoenick

Hi guys,
since I have exactly the same problem than Fenris and since there are still no valid answer here, i will try to make it more clear:

1./HD formated
2./reboot : a)with xp cdrom boot (doesn't work if no ntdlr so SYS c: from a win9x boot disk) b)with a win9x boot disk
3./go to i386\winnt.exe
4./no smartdrive detected (who cares)
5./copying files...blahblah blahhh...
6./crashed (yeah a real microsoft product!?)
7./reset..ionstall goes on...TADDAAAA no eula!

Thank you for a good trick to fix that.

Bye
Swellroot

Hi guys,
since I have exactly the same problem than Fenris and since there are still no valid answer here, i will try to make it more clear:

1./HD formated
2./reboot : a)with xp cdrom boot (doesn't work if no ntdlr so SYS c: from a win9x boot disk) b)with a win9x boot disk
3./go to i386\winnt.exe
4./no smartdrive detected (who cares)
5./copying files...blahblah blahhh...
6./crashed (yeah a real microsoft product!?)
7./reset..ionstall goes on...
8./TADDAAAA "no eula" error message!

Thank you for a good trick to fix that.

Bye
Swellroot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back