Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Freezing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedean47

Technical User
Sep 30, 2004
GB
Hi

I ahve a PC at the moment with a fresh install of Windows XP PRo on it. But after 5 or 10 minutes it just freezes, all i can then do is restart the machine.

Has anyone had this problem before? Any ideas what it could be, i think that it could be the processor as it was overheating. I then reseated the heatsink and fan and it has now stopped overheating.

However it now freezes!

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Hi

It doesn't crash in safe mode, the motherboard drivers and the graphics drivers have been installed; Along with just normal software such as office and paint shop pro.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Stduc

I did add some more grease and the Ram test has comlpeted successfully.

Cheers

what does the log files say? do they give errors?

How much "grease" do you have on the CPU? The thermal compound is just to make good contact between the metal of the cooler base and the surface of the chip (CPU). If you put too much on, it acts like an insulator instead of a conductor. A very small amount (two grains of rice) is all you need. I would remove the heatsink and fan, carefully clean all the old material off (scrape with fingernail and clean with alcohol), and apply a small amount of compound to the chip. I recommend a brand called "Artic Silver". Start up computer, and go immediatly into BIOS to check the temperature. Let it run there for the normal "problem" time (watch the temperature) and see if it still shuts down. Post back with the temperatures you are running.

Hi

It seems to be running ok now, i don't know whether it was just because it had been overheating and now it is running at a normal temperature its calmed down.

Its running at 40 at the moment and it has stopped freezing, so hopefully it was just playing up. I had fully cleaned the heatsink and reapplied the recommended amount.

So far it is still working it has been on for a couple of hours and hasn't frozen where before it couldn't go 10 minutes so that is positive.

Many thanks for all the help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back