Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

overide

MIS
Jul 16, 2001
US
I have a bunch of machines that will freeze up for about 10 minutes after startup. I will click start and then All Programs, and the menu bar will just freeze. I cannot do anything until it stops. This just happened recently to all machines. I deleted everything from my startup under msconfig and the problems still persist. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you viewed the task manager to see what is Not Responding or using up a high percentage like rtvscan.exe does?

If anyone calls and says "I know a little something about computers" just tell them to reformat it.

Do you get the same problem if you start the machine in Safe Mode?

If not consider reinstalling your Graphics Drivers.

It could also be connected to items in your Start Menu/Recent Documents. Windows will try and resolve the location of these short cuts when the start menu is opened for the first time. If these items are unreachable it could cause a delay. However I have never seen this cause a 10 minute delay.

Greg Palmer
Free Software for Adminstrators

Have you checked for spyware/adware or Viruses on the computers?

What do the lights look like on the switch they are connected to?

I am concerned about a duplicate IP being used, or a hardware failure of a switch or router.

To get further information about any error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any event error I.D. number and search for it on these sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back