Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP forgets certain desktop resolutions at reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

walker2

Programmer
Oct 28, 2006
DK
I am using SP3 on an older Pentium 4 dual core.

Display adapter is an on-board Intel 82945G Express, with the newest driver from Intel.

If set to 1280x1024 resolution, everything works, also after reboot.
I need to set to 1600x1200, which is fine on the monitor, but 9 out of 10 times I am back at 1280x1024 (or worse 800x600) after reboot.

Monitor is HP 2025, but driver is at best Jurassic! (Microsoft, 2001)
Is this the problem?

Unfortunately the PC in question is NOT in contact with any internet or other networks. Intensionally!

Are you using the DVI port on the video card and LCD? And I notice the monitor has 18 presets from the factory? What preset are you using on the monitor? I had something similar happen with a monitor, the on board memory board went bad, so every time you turned it on it defaulted to a setting with the brightness set to 0. But the OSD worked, so I could just change the mode of the monitor to user and it worked again till I shut it off.

Out of curiosity, is the video cable going straight from the PC to the monitor, or is it going through a KVM switch or splitter? Is it VGA or DVI?

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Old fashion 15 pin VGA connector is in use. Through a video, mouse and keyboard switch. 3 PCs share everything.

I have now tried to install a driver from a CD that was marked 'HP 2025 monitor' (found at a very hidden location [upsidedown]). Now the driver somehow is able to 'see' available frame rates and resolutions.

So far my resolution has stayed at proper 1600x1200 through a few reboots.
Have not tried power off over night yet!

I asked because some KVM switches have limitations on resolution, and 1280x1024 was common on older models (higher resolutions would sometimes work until a reboot or switching to a different PC). As a test, I would try connecting the PC directly to the monitor bypassing the switch, even if you confirm that the switch supports higher resolutions. I would rule that out first.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

System has now survived a total power down! I still have my 1600x1200.

In fact the PC in question is old new. It is from 2007 or so, but has only now come into use, as my really old one (also running 1600x1200!) quit on me. (Motherboard and/or power supply.)

In regards to using the KVM switch, with the old IO Gear KVM I am using, I have to set the KVM to the port that I am booting or the PC defaults and I have to reset the video resolution when I switch back to that PC.

Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back