Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xp Embedded - Remote Install Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiz0fBaud

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
US
Hey everyone, I have sort of unique problem.

I have developed an XP Embedded Image for a machine without any removeable media. Again, I stress this machine, does not have, nor will it ever have a floppy, cd, or usb boot option. I'm trying to deploy it from Remote install Services With Win2k Server and PXE Boot network card. I sucessfully loaded an basic XP Professional Image onto the computer using Remote Install Services (RIS).

Now I am trying to deploy the image for the first time with the SDI Manager that comes with the XPE development package.

What I did to attempt this insall is follow the msdn instructions.
1. Use a XP Disc (Service Pack 1) for RIS to make an initial install image.
3. Navigate to that directory on the local machine (RIS Server).
2. Copy the I386, overwriting if necessary into the local image directory.
3. Adding the minint option to the OS load options in the *.sif file
4. Adding SDI Manager to the Sys32 folder.

What Happens is, RIS Loads, and asks me to log in, which I do, followed by a "Please Wait Setup is Inspecting your System" After that it gives me a "Please Wait" with a Progress Bar, after the progress bar finishes. And I get the following blue screen...

"A problem has been detected and windows has be shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
An initialization failure occured while attempting to boot from the network

If this is your first time you've seen this screen......"

It also mentions Disabling BIOS memory options, which I disabled BIOS caching and still no effect..

Does anyone know of anything I may have done/be doing wrong or anything to diagnose/fix this problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated because I am completely lost....Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back