Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP dropping off Network and workijng offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajpark

Technical User
Sep 6, 2002
NZ
We have had a number of users dropping off the network after a recent rollout of XP. We are redirecting My Documents and user get a bubble saying they have become disconnected from the server and will work offline.

Does anyone else have this problem or preferably a solution

We had a similar problem when we installed windows 2000 on a number of machines. The problem was due to IRQ conflicts between power management and the network card. Microsoft had recognised this problem and the only solution was to disable power management in the BIOS BEFORE installing windows. Try doing this on one of your PC's. - Good Luck

I have the same problem listed in the original post.

My system is a Toshiba Satellite Pentium IV notebook running Windows XP SP1 on a network with a Windows 2000 Domain Server (actually Win2k SBS).

My Documents is also redirected to the users share on the server. It is set up for offline files so that it can be used at home.

This problem used to happen frequently (sometimes several times a day) until I told Windows XP not to go into standby mode as part of the power management preferences.

Now it is generally OK, but occasionally (say maybe once a week or less), the same problem will reoccur. Usually, I can get it to reconnect again by clicking on the little computer that pops up in the system tray and telling it to continue working online, but if I can't, restarting the laptop will get it working again. its a huge annoyance though because it will cause my accounting/database app to crash.

From the sounds of things this may be the fix for my problem. Unfortunately its going to be a long process reinstalling everything!

Just wondering how other people went with this?

Thanks

We have the same problem with a IBM laptop with pre-installed XP pro SP1. It's very annoying and the user even asked for his old laptop.

I will try whether resetting the powersave options helps.

If all else fails, make sure you guys check out the autodisconnect on the server, by default it is set to disconnect you from the network share after 15 of idle time, but once you click on it, everything is fine. This should only affect 2000 and XP client. Go to command prompt of the server, and type:
net config server /autodisconnect:VALUE (number of minutes before disconnecting) (-1 to disable (which I wouldn't do) and up to 65535).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back