Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Desktop is display icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

alorenzini

Technical User
Feb 20, 2008
US
I have an XP Professional and I can see the Start button and tool bar but not the desktop icons. When I click on the Show Desktop it does not do anything. The screen is completely blue. I can set the Desktop to the toolbar and that works.

Even when I tried to change the Theme the screen just remained the same.

I right click on the desktop and went to Arrange Icon By but the Show desktop does not appear on the menu.

Please Help ASAP

What is it like from Safe Mode? What about trying another user in Normal Mode?

Wallpaper is "not on top"
thread779-955023

Local Group Policy Question (?)
thread779-1328992

Could be one of Linney's favorites, Profile Corruption...

create a second user, and see if it behaves as the first, if it does, then it is not a corruption issue of the profile... if it does work, then you know where the problem lies, and it would be prudent to transfer all the stuff over to the other profile and get rid of the first...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

Sorry guys it was a false alarm. I forgot to tell you that I was remoting in to the suspect desktop via LogMeIn. Apparently there was something in the cache in logmein that was causing it. I flushed the cache and everything went back to normal.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back