Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP defrag

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw1234

Technical User
Mar 4, 2004
GB
I have been running a copy of XP Pro for a few months now and decided to defrag the drive, after defragging my hard drive, I have found that my hard disks seems to be having to work harder or active when in general use, any idea?

Check into taskmonitor, XP does a lot of things in the background. If the Defrag made major changes on the file order, indexing may be re-aligning the data.

I would suggest turning off indexing on all drives, aswell as prefetching... as these only speed up accessing of files but slows down the system because of it's constant accessing the HD...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Ditto with BadBigBen - turn off the indexing service and prefetch.

All great accomplishments were once considered impossible.

Indexing is only useful if you constantly have to search for files becuase you have memory problems.

Prefetch makes bootup faster, which is nice, and makes programs (mainly large apps like games) startup much quicker...but if you only use the internet and use Office, then it's not very useful. I have it on because I'm an avid game player :)

I give that a try, thanks for your help, much appreciated.

One last query....

Where can I find prefetch to be able to turn it off, I know I can find indexing under services but can't seem to track down any prefetch options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back