Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP continously rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Navion

Technical User
Aug 31, 2003
US
Hi:
XP boots to desktop then after a few seconds it reboots. I have traced this to the cable modem and the USB connection. When the modem is not connected to the USB port it works normally. As soon as I connect it will start to reboot over and over. Then each time I get the message of "serious error has occurred". I have re-formartted the HDD and re-installed windows but no relief. I have dis abled startup items,loaded default bios options and nothing changes. I got a new modem and the same thing happened. Does this sound like hardware problems in the board?
THanks

'When the modem is not connected to the USB port it works normally' - sounds like you've found the problem...

Is there an error in the event log that's more specific? If it's an RPC error, I'd scan for viruses as that could be msblaster. Is there a file running in the background called DLLHOST.EXE or MSBLAST? Regardless of the reload, without a firewall or antivirus software, an unpatched 2K/XP system is a magnet to this virus. Just worth checking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back