Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations strongm on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP computer freeze due to network card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc11

Programmer
Feb 9, 2002
US
I have unplugged all the cables before opening the box to add memory. I started the computer without connecting the broadband cable to the network card. It just freezes after windows xp comes up.
Once I removed the card, everything works fine. The problem is repeating when I inserted the network card in to the PCI slot. This has nothing to do with the memory upgrade. Even with the old memory card, the computer still freezes.

Please let me know how to over come this problem.
Thanks.

Plug your broadband back in.

Sounds like you are trying to get initial configuration information for the card, but since you aren't connected to a DHCP server, the configuration isn't comming along.

Should error out after a period of time and continue to boot if you leave it alone, but if you plug the broadband back in you should be fine.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I have to go out of town.
I was able to solve this problem. I found there was an unkown network driver (the icon you see when you go into the properties of the network places)with a cross mark on it. I choose disabled with the right-click of the mouse and removed it. From then i did not encounter any freeze problems.
Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back